Be Happy Anyway

Be Happy Anyway
From Brave Girls Club

Friday, December 5, 2008

A Tip? I'll Give Ya a Tip!

This may seem petty, but yesterday I went to get tea from my favorite restaurant...You know the one with the big giant billboard on the highway that says, "Tea, 46 cents!" Never mind that that the sign is falsely advertising cheap tea, since you can only get that price between the hours of 2:00 and 5:00. Nevertheless, I went to get my tea and not knowing whether they would be honoring their proclaimed price. The carhop said, "50 cents, please." I handed the him a dollar, and he quickly returned with my beverage but no change. I looked at him questioningly but said nothing, to which his reply was, "Oh, did you want your change?" I said, "Yes," and quickly took my 50 cents and left.
Now, I know in the big scheme of things 50 cents is a mere pittance, and this young man probably only makes minimum wage. But isn't it rude to assume that I am going to give you a 100% tip for bringing out a glass of sugar water? Furthermore, what would be an appropriate tip for such a task - 15%, 20%? Doesn't that then defeat the whole purpose of the billboard advertising 46 cent iced tea? Don't get me wrong. I am all for generosity. My mother taught me that I shouldn't be going out to eat if I am going to have to worry about how much of a tip I am going to leave. I was just surprised when he didn't return with my change, and it is because of THAT, that I didn't give him a tip.

Am I wrong?...let me know what you think. I promise not to drop you from blog reader if you disagree. :-)

4 comments:

miruspeg said...

Good on you Annemarie, I would have done the same thing.
It's a pity he caught you off guard with his remark.
Next time remember what you wrote here is a very good comeback.
ie. 100% tip for bringing out a glass of sugar water, spoken in a nice voice, he might get the message and get more tips.

Tipping isn't a ritual in Australia like it is in America. We are always handed our change and given the option to tip.

Cheers
Peggy

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

I agree with U girl....he shouldn't have ASSUMED! :):):):)

Jan said...

I just think that is very, very arrogant. I hardly think of that amount as a "tip". Now, I'm trying to think - you said car hop ---as opposed to driving through? I think the most I would have tipped would be 25 cents. I would have been "heated" about the encounter and probably not able to enjoy my tea. Oh well - there are bigger things in life. Good thing you posted about it. Now you can get all your readers worked up and YOU can let it go.... :-)

McMGrad89 said...

I say "car hop" because this particular restaurant has a drive through without a speaker system. Their employees have to come out, rain or shine, out to your car, take your order, remember it (no writing) and come back with your food. But it looks like a drive through. That is why I usually would tip something if I had ordered meals for my family, but it was just a drink and it was the assumption, that "got my goat."

Blog Widget by LinkWithin