Be Happy Anyway

Be Happy Anyway
From Brave Girls Club

Sunday, December 28, 2008

Some Assembly Required...Not When Daddy's Away!

Many of you out in the world of Christmas toys might have had quite an evening with the "some assembly required." I didn't have any of that to worry about, but did have to wrap presents by myself since my husband is still away.

It was all I could do to get the youngest to go to bed. I ended up going to bed with him and then debated with myself whether the presents really NEEDED to be wrapped in order for it to be Christmas. Rational heads prevailed and I dragged myself out of bed at 12 something in the morning worried the dog would wake up everyone. The next morning I woke up with the oldest and realized that Santa's goodies were still sitting by the fireplace. I tried to feed them to the dog who on any other occasion would have stolen them off the plate but, instead, snubbed her nose up at them as if to say, "I am not your garbage can." The oldest ended up running them out to the dumpster since my mother's words were echoing in my head, "You are not a garbage can." I guess the dog had heard it enough too. In the end the lack of sleep was so worth watching the youngest try to open presents from Santa.

We have left the tree up for Daddy, but when he gets home he can wrap any presents he may bring. I will be going on a Mommy Vacation. Any suggestions?

4 comments:

Roban said...

Oh, my, it sounds like a Christmas to remember! So funny about your dog not wanting the treat!

Santa doesn't wrap presents at my house. They are placed under or near the tree. This year, he left fewer presents than before. I think my H is getting tired of Santa getting all the credit!

Now, about that Mommy Vacation.... If a trip to the South is out of the question, I would vote for a little spa treatment. Or just piling up somewhere in a comfy bed with plenty of books and magazines to read. (You can tell I'm tired - and a bit under the weather!).

Now, if your hubby is going, too, he might not like all the books and magazines!

I'm sure you're counting down the days...!

Roban

miruspeg said...

How funny that the 'food monitor' got into your dogs head as well!
I am pleased you had a lovely Christmas. It is certainly worthwhile wrapping presents for the very young ones. Seeing the anticipation on their faces as they struggle to open the presents is magic.
I gave Charlie and Joseph eight small gifts, each wrapped individually. I wish I had videoed the excitement on their faces.

As for your vacation, my suggestion is anywhere without children and then when you come home you would have missed them so much, your bond will be even greater.

Take care
Peggy

MrsPeel said...

it's always the same, the buses aren't there when needed, the dog wont eat the Santa's food...
in that one you brought me the memory when I had to tell Sarita I was actually Santa...(she was 10 or 11) and she thought I was kidding.
I had made such a good job in the previous years (by eating and drinking Santa's, and hiding away the wrapping papers!)
I'm glad you are having a good time, though I can imagine it s difficult with daddy away...
I totally agree with Mommy's vacation: a spa like sugested here it s great idea!!!

Thanks for always being there for me too, this Xmas is much better than last, all because of you girls!!!!

MJ said...

I don't wrap gifts from Santa. I'm paranoid that one day the kids will discover the wrapping paper from Santa is the same stuff found in the wrapping paper pile. Instead, I place the gifts from Santa on their respective kiddie chairs so they know who gets what. I wrap gifts from Mom & Dad. Once Santa is outted, I will wrap all the gifts.

Mommy Vacation sounds heavenly. I suspect a retreat somewhere is in order!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin