Be Happy Anyway

Be Happy Anyway
From Brave Girls Club

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Fair Trade Gifts

Look what I got!

My friend C sent me an adorable little purse. The great thing about it (other than the wonderful purple color) is where she got it. There is an organization, Eternal Threads, that is "dedicated to improving the lives of women and children most at risk of extreme poverty, trafficking and other forms of exploitation by providing sustainable livelihoods through income generating projects."

It is quite serendipitous because just this weekend I was on some tragic movie trip and one of the movies was one about children who were destined to live the rest of their lives in the brothels of Calcutta, India. The movie left me with questions: What happened to the children since this movie's debut in 2004? What was the purpose of this movie? If you show people a desperate situation and don't give them any productive way to act on the ideas that are running through their mind, have you really made any social change?

At least with Eternal Threads and other fair trade organizations, people can find a proactive way to try (at least) to make a difference.

I am not going to climb higher on a soap box, but if you like my new little bag, go on over to their shopping site and check out some of the totes and handbags and other amazing products. Or find other fair trade products to share for Christmas and birthdays and other gift-giving ideas. Give gifts that make a difference.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's an awesome purse! Love the colours, the technique and the cute flowers on it! And there's nothing wrong with climbing on that soap box.... I bought chocolate for my son "Sinterklaas" gift (something like Santa Claus, in the Netherlands) and we biked all the way to the "world shop" (that's what the fair trade store is called here) to buy "honest" chocolate - so you're not the only one thinking about it - if there will be more... IT HELPS!!! GO BUY FAIR TRADE GIFTS!

Rieni said...

It is a lovely purse with very nice flowers.

I have been working in a fair trade shop a couple of years and I'm still buying quite a lot of stuff in there

have a nice weekend, and thank you so much for writing in dutch on my blog :))

Blog Widget by LinkWithin