Be Happy Anyway

Be Happy Anyway
From Brave Girls Club

Friday, January 2, 2009

This Morning


Today is the last real day of my holiday before I have to go back to work on Monday. I have a medium-sized list of things to get done today like laundry, return phone calls, go to the bank, wash my dad's truck, fix some blinds at my mother's, hang a plaque for my mother, contact the body shop....Okay, the list seems to be growing as I type. They are all doable because it is early, and I was smart and took my youngest to daycare.

I was feeling badly about making him go to "school," but I knew I wouldn't get a single thing done if I didn't. The question was how to get him there with as little fight as possible. I was certain that he wouldn't want to go in the car so early in the morning since he has figured out that nothing good comes from getting in the car at sun-up (doctor's appointments, daycare, etc.) Instead we walked to school. It is only ten minutes, but it seemed like an eternity. Of course it wasn't without complication. Three minutes from the school he told me he had to go potty. I had to convince him the school was closer to the house and that strangers wouldn't want a little boy coming into their house so early in the morning just to use their bathroom. When we got across from the school, he sat on the sidewalk and refused to walk any farther. I then had to fib and tell him I had to use the restroom and that couldn't wait any longer, so he gave into my need and crossed the street.

After I left the daycare, I realized I hadn't thought this strategy all the way through. I still had to walk home. It wasn't fun walking into the sunrise. I also forgot that I have a hidden condition that rears it ugly head when I have to exercise early in the morning. My legs break out in hives. The doctors have never been able to do anything about it other than to call it exercise induced urticaria and tell me to take antihistamines. (Duh!)

So here I sit waiting for the antihistamine to kick in so I can go on with the rest of my to-do list. Fortunately phones and computers work while seated with my feet up. I was able to write this blog while hanging on hold with the various offices I had to call today. Too bad I can't drive with my feet up. I would have finished my bank run and made it to my mother's by now.


Note to self: Buy more antihistamine if you want to start exercising for the new year.

7 comments:

Roban said...

How funny about getting your son to day care, then realizing you had to walk back! I'm impressed that you're making good use of your last day home... at least trying to!

I have cold induced uticaria. I break out when I get cold. As a child, I would have to take antihistamine before getting out of bed. Now, that was a challenge. All of the meds then made you drowsy, so it was kind of a losing situation. It's gotten better over the years, but just recently seemed to be making a comeback. I can't even get something out of the freezer without it affecting my hands.

Enjoy the weekend! I'll be back at school Monday, too.

Roban

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Wowwwwwwww....U had a rough morning!!! I hope your weekend is better and your to-do list is shorter!!! :):):):):):):):):):):):)

miruspeg said...

Looks like your computer passed that virus onto you! Hope you are both up and running again soon.
It's unusual seeing you making a list.....hope you got lots done so you can have a relaxing weekend.

I am trying to visualise you driving with your feet up! You could get James to press the peddles for you!

Peg

MJ said...

I've never heard of exercise induced urticaria. Hope your legs recovered quickly enough to do all your errands!

miruspeg said...

I see by the music you are gearing up for school tomorrow.
Hope it is NOT a manic monday!
Great to see your lovely face staring back at me.
It's Monday here already and off soon to see my favourite little boy Joseph and get the best cuddles.
Take care
Peggy

Wendelyn DeMoss said...

Wishing you the best as you get back into your school routine. I always thought the "Spring" semester was the longest ever! I hope your kiddos are eager to get back and follow all of our instructions!! :):) Thought you might laugh at that one!
Are you doing the "word" for the year with us?

Roban said...

Hooray! Love the picture! We definitely look like we would get along in real time!

Best of luck as school starts back. We had a wonderful workshop today with Marcia Tate, the author of "Worksheets Don't Grow Dendrites." She was very engaging and modeled nearly all of her strategies throughout the day. As teachers, we use a lot of the strategies anyway. Nice to recognize them and try to pull in some new things.

Take care!
Roban

Blog Widget by LinkWithin