Be Happy Anyway

Be Happy Anyway
From Brave Girls Club

Friday, November 7, 2008

This Never Would Have Crossed My Mind

When I get home from work in the evenings, I spend it cleaning up the usual mess that I find that the elves forgot to dispose of while I was out. Lately it consists of medicine droppers, granola wrappers and the like all left behind in the whirlwind known as the Mommy Exodus.
Yesterday I came home to a glass of water sitting on the lamp table by the couch. As I was about to dump it in the sink and place the glass in the dishwasher, I stopped to notice that the water looked kind of orange. This left me feeling perplexed. What beverage had I given my son that was orange tinted? I returned to the kitchen to find another glass that my daughter had kindly left on the counter for me to dispose of, and it too was tinted orange. Now, I am really confused. I set it down and started gathering the different medications that the pediatrician had prescribed to help my son get over the creeping crud that had overcome him this past week, and oddly enough, one was orange. Then it hit me....This three and a half year old is a mastermind. He had been holding his medicine in his mouth, waiting for me to walk away and when he pretended to drink the water, he was actually expelling the medicine into the water glass, hoping I wouldn't notice. Which, by the way, I didn't. I couldn't believe my eyes, so I asked him, "James, having you been spitting the orange medicine back into the water?" "Yes, mommy," was his nonchalant reply.

We are raising an evil genius. (Cue the organ music.)

5 comments:

miruspeg said...

The thing I love about young children is when confronted they always tell you the truth, in that unconcerned/indifferent way.
It always cracks me up and we both end up laughing together.

I wouldn't call James an 'evil genius', I'd call him a 'think outside the box' little chap.

Hope you enjoyed your birthday.
Peggy

Roban said...

Oh dear, I see that you've had a birthday, and I missed it entirely. I'm wishing you not only a belated birthday but a whole month of birthday moments to celebrate!

I don't believe I would have ever made the connection between the tinted water and the medicine. I definitely won't share this with my daughter.... Although she's older, I can still envision it happening if she thought about it.

Have a wonderful weekend!

Roban

A Soldier Girl said...

hee hee kids are TOO cute ..

carrhop said...

Hahahahaaha!!! Wow! Now that is a pretty genius way to 'hide the evidence'! Love it!

Blessings!

MJ said...

Brilliant! Don't ya just love how they can outsmart us and admit to it? I won't be letting my kids in on this one! Let them figure it out!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin