Be Happy Anyway

Be Happy Anyway
From Brave Girls Club

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Soap Box Time

Okay, so it is common practice since No Child Left Behind for schools to give yearly assessments in the areas of reading, and math and in certain grade levels, writing and science.

Yesterday was one of those tests. Since there is an issue of confidentiality and security I shall not name the specific brand of test students took, but the subject was writing.

The question I present to all of my writer friends is this, Do you write in a vacuum - void of any inspiration? Where does the spark come from when you want to or even need to write about a given topic.

The guidelines for this particular test requires that all words, posters, etc. must be covered or removed before the students begin writing. Heaven forbid they see a poster that says, "You Can Do It" or "Reach for the Stars." What about that map of the United States of America that has in two inch letters the words UNITED STATES OF AMERICA? I hope by now, fourth graders know the country where they live and how to spell it.

Don't get me wrong, I understand removing the reminders for the writing process or the 100 words on the word wall, but the days of the week? REALLY? What has become of this system.

These are the days that make wonder where will the education system lead us.

"And that's all I have to say about that."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You make me smile on an early Thursday morning Annemarie... we have the same issues here in the system... I'm with you on that soap box! (Picture us there... teehee!)

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

the education system really scares me right now...i can't believe they had u cover posters.....ugh....who knows....one of those might have inspired a child to write a better story! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Cozyflier said...

So, you must be talking about the irrational Texas TAKS!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, the teachers here have to destroy their rooms. Crazy. I get inspired from all sorts of things.

Stay up there on your soapbox!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin