Be Happy Anyway

Be Happy Anyway
From Brave Girls Club

Saturday, March 6, 2010

Feelin' Icky

I have the song "Feelin' Groovy"* running through my head. Only, I am thinking "I don't feel groovy, not even a little bit." In fact, I am feeling quite icky.

*BTW Feelin' Groovy is really the "Fifty-Ninth Street Bridge Song."

After having kidney stones removed mid February, I thought I would be up and running in just a few days. On the contrary, I continue to have pain most days, not from the stones, but from the stint that remains until the doctor removes it (Monday??? One can hope.) Regardless, I have become accustomed to this annoyance - good meds get me through. The new problem is a cold, something I haven't had in a very long time.

I work very hard to keep my hands clean at school even though I shake hands, hug or high five each and everyone of my students every morning and afternoon. I teach them to wash their hands often - doesn't always work, especially when you have one or two who still love to pick their noses. Getting a cold is considered a work hazard. I have come to accept this. But it is hard to believe after surviving numerous nose-pickers and children with common colds and flu, I have now gotten a full on, keep-me-awake-at-night, head cold. To top it all off, I didn't get it from my rugrats at school. I got it from my own darling son who decided one day that my Sprite bottle was his and took a swig and put it back for me to enjoy.

At first, I was in denial. "Mommies are strong and immune to their kiddo's cooties." WRONG! Obviously, James brought home a unique strain of virus that this mom can't avoid.

So I am wide awake at 1 AM and 3 AM and now 5 AM. there comes a point where I just give up and break out the laptop and see what the rest of my cyberbuddies are up to. That would be simple enough, but I have never been known to be simple.

Instead, I am singing "Feelin' Groovy" in my head trying to make the song fit my situation. The following are the results:

Slow down, you movin' too fast
You gonna have to take a nap
Just kickin' off the winter yuckies
This isn't fun. You're
Feelin' icky

Hello girl!
Whatcha doin'?
You're gonna learn to do some chillin'
Don'tcha want to feel much better
You Be You Be
Feelin' Icky

Got no time to rest
Have so much to do
Can't get anything done when you don't get no sleep
Let the sandman come down and give you relief
Next thing ya know
All is groovy

And now a little somethin' to pick you all up. Watch and listen and then go out and have a groovy day.




PEGGY - I am having a hard time importing my Playlist.com to this new widget...until then, I have one song for you just to let you know I heard you.

6 comments:

Andre Rodriguez said...

Sorry you're feeling icky, sis. Feel better soon.

chris a said...

Hope you feel better very quickly - I have had 2 colds this winter; such a bummer!

miruspeg said...

Oh dear I loath head colds too. :-(

But you are still on top of your game in the humour department Annemarie. :-)
Your lyrics to "Feelin' Groovy" are very apt....I love the line "You're gonna learn to do some chillin'.

I now dedicate another Simon and Garfunkel song to you - "Bridge Over Troubled Water" especially these lyrics.

"When you're weary
Feeling small
When tears are in your eyes
I will dry them all"

"When you're down and out
When you're on the street
When evening falls so hard
I will comfort you"

"Sail on Silver Girl,
Sail on by
Your time has come to shine
All your dreams are on their way"

"See how they shine
If you need a friend
I'm sailing right behind
Like a bridge over troubled water
I will ease your mind"

There was no way I could top these lyrics with my own words.

Sending you loads of love and light for a rapid recovery.

Peggy xxxx

Anonymous said...

You have the song in my head now Annemarie (without clicking the video - yes, I'm "that old" too...) Hope you feel better soon!

"A winter's day
on a cold and lonely evening
I am alone
with a headache and a nose all filled with snot
Surfing on the Net to find some comfort there
My nose is a rock
I'm feeling so I-i-i-cky"

All my love and best wishes for a quick recovery!

Roban said...

I love your lyrics.... At least the cold hasn't dampened your humor. I hope you feel better soon. (And do you use Airborne? I start swigging it as soon as I even begin to believe I may be getting sick. It usually staves off colds or makes them go away quicker. Usually - knock on wood.)

Thinkie said...

I hope you are well now!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin