Be Happy Anyway

Be Happy Anyway
From Brave Girls Club

Thursday, September 10, 2009

Drive-by Photography and Other Randomness

I have a really bad habit of taking pictures when driving. I see things. Don't have time to stop. (You all know I am always on the run.) Sometimes I am fortunate enough to be the passenger, but usually I just have to hold the camera, point in the general direction of my intended subject and pray for the best. Sometimes I get something good. Sometimes, not so much.

Let's start with the oldest drive-by photo on my memory card.I guess this one isn't a drive BY but a "drive TOWARD" photo. It was something I saw on the way from dance class. I just pulled out the camera and clicked while paying attention to the other drivers and just hoped for the best.
This one I was in the passenger's seat. I was fascinated by the rider's hair, but I didn't want him to know, so I didn't roll down the window.



Now these next two are of two men that intrigued me yesterday. I always wonder what drives people to feel they need to share their message in this fashion. I am all for free speech and I have no objection to the message whatsoever. The problems with what I see here are many-fold.
  1. To whom is the message being directed? This is a motorway. There are few pedestrians aside from the poor man who is trying to get his cash from the ATM, and he doesn't appeared to be fazed by this man's shouting.
  2. Who are these people? There were no signs informing us where they came from. What if I was truly interested in taking action after reading his signs. If I am driving by at 40 miles per hour, I am probably not going to be able to stop and ask.
  3. What did they hope to accomplish? Do people truly repent by hearing a man yelling on a corner something that can't be heard over the hum of the engine, the crying of the child in the back seat and stereo blasting the latest Wiggles CD? How will they know they have accomplished their goal? There is no way to take a survey of the people who have passed by that intersection by happenstance.
Upon passing these two men in the intersection, James said, "That was weird." Then he wrapped it up with, "Well, Mr. Alden (his dance teacher) is NOT going to talk about THAT!"

It's nice to know I am not the only one with these thoughts running through their heads, even if it is my four year old.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I take drive by photos too!! And I LOVE that you have Oingo Boingo on your playlist!

Cozyflier said...

OK, I agree with you 100% on this. Just what are they trying to accomphlish?

Here is another question for you - What do other drivers think of us when they see us taking pictures while driving??!!!!

I'm guilty!

Carrie

Anonymous said...

Annemarie, thanks so much for your heart warming words on my blog today! I can't tell you how much that means to me! Love you! Marit

letti said...

hi annemarie! oo it IS that time of year again.. homecoming. Will you guys be coming by the West Texas Fair and Rodeo? If you are in town on a Friday morning, you should come by our bible study group and then we can go off to George's for lunch afterwards. hehehe.

Chimene said...

Thank you so mutch for all your sweet words on my blog:)
I always love the way you write your stories and take a look in to your world!

XXXX
Chimene

Blog Widget by LinkWithin