Be Happy Anyway

Be Happy Anyway
From Brave Girls Club

Monday, May 31, 2010

Whine, Whmper, Whaaaa

Today is a school holiday. Most holidays there is still daycare, but today there is no daycare. Today my son woke up telling me that he has a toothache. I looked where he is pointing and there is already a filling and a crown. I can't imagine what else could be wrong there, but sure enough, that side of his face is slightly swollen. This happens when there is no dentist available and when I will have no more sick days on the last week of school. The whining and whimpering begin.

We move on from this to the backyard. "Mom! Caitlin won't push me on my horse swing!" Whaa Whaa Mmmmwhaaa. This is followed by a shout to my thirteen year old to go push her brother.

Next comes the park. Mind you, it's 98 degrees outside, but I figure he needs some more run around time. The whining starts about the tooth again, and I remind him that he will have to take some Tylenol (store brand since it is all recalled) when we get home. He tells me that Tylenol is for when you are sick. I tell him that Tylenol is for when you have pain, too. He informs me that he doesn't have a pain. I explain that when your tooth hurts that is called pain. He instructs me that pain is a volcano. (Someone has been watching too many heartburn commercials.) We argue over semantics for a few more minutes. Then I remember I need toilet paper.

I ask Caitlin to make a mental note that we need gasoline and toilet paper - not that she will remember, but I hope my telling her will make an imprint on my brain. It does, but also puts a bug in James' ear. "I NEED MARSHMALLOWS."

Again, another conversation ensues about the problem with toothaches and marshmallows, but it falls on deaf ears. James continues to make his plea for the 20 minute ride home and all the way through the grocery store. All the while he is whining and whimpering, and I think I am about to flip my lid.

As we get home, I ask James to let the dog in who is also whimpering. James just lays on the ottoman whining and complaining about the lack of marshmallows in the house. Finally a sound that is music to my ears emanates from the bathroom, the sound of water running. The sound that means that a certain little whiny boy is about to get in the tub, and a certain tired mother is about to get a moment's peace.

Until he remembers....There are no marshmallows.

8 comments:

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh U poor thing...sounds like U had a rough day....soooooooo sorry.... thanks for stopping by my blog today! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

letti said...

yikes, oh dear :( As I write this, I'm listening to Jaxon whine over the monitor because momma left him there drowsy to sleep, and there's way more "play" left in him. Bleh. Sorry you had a "bad"ish day :( But "Pain is a Volcano" is classic. :)

miruspeg said...

Oh what a wicked day....I wonder if I would have been able to contain myself and not "flip my lid"?

It is now tomorrow, hope the whining is over and you have a sunny, bright happy day.

Hugs
Peggy xxx

MJ said...

(Hug) (you need another so here it is: (Hug) )

Shan in Japan said...

I had to laugh out loud at the need for marshmallows. When I was in high school if we needed feminine products we would write marshmallows at the top of the shopping list, then whoever went to the store knew to go down the feminine product aisle. So, knowing you were stopping for toilet paper and then hearing your son want marshmallows made me laugh!

Hope his tooth is feeling better!

McMGrad89 said...

Shan, that just cracked me up. I don't remember ever having to ask for those things as a kid, they just magically showed up. There was a marshmallow fairy in our house I guess.

Anonymous said...

Only THINKING of marshmellows gives me a toothache... never understood that people actually LIKE them.... oh my, your story cracks me up! I hope the rest of the week went well...!!!

Roban said...

... and then we have those moments when we share the not-so-perfects of our world. What a classic mom day. And I love the tie-in with the marshmallows.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin