Be Happy Anyway

Be Happy Anyway
From Brave Girls Club

Saturday, June 8, 2013

Summer's Here!

I have been literally counting the days for the past three weeks. Work was especially stressful for at least two months. The last day of work there wasn't much to do because I was on top of everything, so I spent the day listening to Audiobooks and watching the clock. I was reading Marit's blog and saw that she was participating in Index Card a Day at Daisy Yellow so I decided to join in. Can you tell what I am ready for?



I am so ready that on the last day of work, 
I couldn't even spell VACATION on my first index card.

The first order of business: Sleep in. And sleep in I did. Actually, I woke up at 8:15 and said, "In 15 minutes, I will get up and mow the lawn." Fifteen minutes later came an hour later to find me sound asleep. I woke up surprised to see how late it was (during the year I wake at 5:00 a.m). I then got the kids up to pick up anything that might get caught in the mower. I put the new edger together and put gas in the mower.

Index Card (ICAD) #2

Once the kids were done, I got started. I was very excited to see I could do the whole lawn myself.


The rest of the afternoon was spent vegging until I suddenly remembered James had baseball. So, off to baseball we went.

James tries hard, but there is no one in this house that knows anything about how to hit or catch a ball. I listen to the coaches, but it is impossible to get take book knowledge and turn it into on the field knowledge so James has been on his own in the hitting department. Today somebody watched some video of James and realized he has been closing his eyes when the exact moment the ball crosses the plate. In between games, all the coaches took James to the side (since he hasn't hit the ball once this season) and encouraged him and worked with him over and over until they were certain he knew what to do. James went up the batter's box and the machine sent the ball flying towards him and nothing. He let it go right by. Now this is okay because this is machine pitch and the players have been taught to let the first one go by to see where the machine is landing the balls. Second ball, no swing. Third Ball, no swing.

He is now at the point where he needs to swing or he will be sent back to the bench. The final ball is coming toward him and CRACK! he hits it straight down the field.

James makes it to first, the fielder misses the ball and he heads to second. OMG! He is on base. I can't believe it. The next batter comes to the plate and hits the ball giving James the chance to make it to third. As he does, the ball is still rolling around and can you believe it??! He gets to slide right into home as the catcher is scrambling for the ball!!! He made his first run this year. And I was a screaming fool.


This summer will be the first summer that both kids go visit with their dad for more than a week, so I am trying to make sure that I don't let my days go by without living them with purpose. This includes planning meals, playing games, playing "soccer" mom, and not sleeping the summer away.

Hopefully, I remember to take some pictures, too. If I do, you will see them here. Happy summer.

PS - DON'T FORGET TO GO TO FEATURING MAGAZINE'S PAGE AND PRE-ORDER YOUR ISSUE. ALL PRE-ORDERS WILL QUALIFY FOR ENTRY IN DRAWING. HEAD OVER TO THE FEATURING STORE TO FIND OUT MORE.

8 comments:

FIT--Future Iron Teacher said...

I'm so proud of him!!! Way to go James!

Lolosblog said...

So glad some of the coaches took the time to help him out. It is so important for someone to step up to the plate to help kids that don't have a "sport" parent in the house to help them!! What a boost of confidence for James to not only get a hit but to get to slide into home! Every little boys dream! Maybe because a little league coach took the time to help him out, we will get to see him in the big leagues some day!
(can you tell I have a problem with kids sports coaches? LOL)
Have a great summer and enjoy every minute of it!!!
Brandi

Carmen said...

What a brilliant story about your boy. It makes all the difference having a Mum like you and people like his coach who take that time with him. Big smile on my face reading that.

Love your ICAD's and well done on the lawn. I'm banned from anything like that I have wrecked two lawnmowers and even the hoover I'm not allowed to touch - I blow them up. I must be jinxed with machinery!

Thank you for stopping by mine earlier, that was lovely to wake up to :)

Roban said...

Annemarie, I love your story about James. I love that you heard the crack of the bat as it made contact. I love that he made it to 2nd on his hit, and I love that he made it into home plate. What a boost that was to his confidence, I bet.

I've never been able to get my room packed up and finish all of the paperwork by the last day of post-planning. Somehow, it just never gets done. This year I realized though that I was giving away one of my vacation days. While I like putting things up exactly the way I like to do it, doing it on my vacation day didn't sit so well this year. Maybe next year I'll do better.

Have a great summer, and yes, living with intention and purpose will be good for you and me both. It's so easy to let the days slip away, isn't it?

Do you have plans for when the kiddos are gone?

Joyfulploys said...

You must be a teacher? Enjoy your summer. You will like doing ICADs in your spare time :) Glad you decided to participate. I like your posting about your son playing ball...good for him!
Mary

Tracey FK said...

enjoyed visiting your blog and seeing your work and catching a glimpse into your world... and pleased to have found your blog via ICAD... looking forward to seeing more of your lovely cards...xx

Marit said...

I don't know anything about baseball but I enjoyed the story, way to go JAmes! (and mum, and the coach...) I love your colourful card and the one with the drawing made me smile... I have not done much cards still (I think only four?) but I hope to make a few extra during this week, and catch up with it a little... I still have to post them in the facebook group too. Thanks for the FEATURING shout out and enjoy your vacation

Natasha said...

Go James!! Go you on the lawns as well. :)

Love your card, I look forward to seeing the rest of your cards. Such an easy low-key way to ease into daily creativity.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin