Be Happy Anyway

Be Happy Anyway
From Brave Girls Club

Saturday, July 10, 2010

And So It Continues

Well, hasn't this been a busy week? Well, I guess you wouldn't really know since I have been quiet on the blogging front, so let's share a little about what we have been doing.

(Warning: This post is filled with descriptions of the many meals I have prepared this week, evidence for future generations that I do know how to cook.)

Monday began with a trip to Temple for a Mary Kay meeting with my director, the lovely Georgia. She got to meet Peggy, and Peggy got to learn about my business. The meeting was followed with a tasty lunch at BJ's Brewhouse. Mom accompanied us so the conversation was quite lively.

Tuesday was a long day. We left town around 9:15 and made our way through the winding country roads dotted with windmills, goats, cattle and oil pumps. Our destination, Abilene, for some more lunch. This time we got to meet our bloggy friend, Carrie who drove just as far as we did but from the opposite direction. Before lunch at Abuelo's, Peggy got to see my alma mater, McMurry University. Lunch was filled with good food and good conversation. We all snapped photos of each other, hugged our goodbyes and went in our merry way. I did take one little detour before heading home. We stopped at my long time, Dr. Harvey at Abilene Eye Care. We had to wait for her to finish an eye exam, but then we got the grand tour of the office. I hadn't seen it even once since she opened six years ago. (Shame on me.) We drove home, had a tasty dinner of chicken breasts and bean salad (kidney, black and garbanzo beans with peeled/seeded/diced cucumbers, green peppers and red onions marinated in an oil & vinegar salad dressing.)

Wednesday Peggy and I met my friend Tynia who is here on her R&R as she transfers from teaching in Korea to her new station in Naples, Italy. (Is anyone thinking - new vacation spot?) I introduced Peggy to Tynia's and my favorite burger and fries in the world, Mel's Burgers. It is a quaint joint with walls decked with license plates and other ephemera. They opened in 2000 and are still going strong even in a struggling economy. It was more great conversations filled with laughter and talks of travel. Dinner was simple, but fun with sandwiches on wheat rolls complete with various lunch meats, cheeses, green leaf lettuce and vine ripe tomatoes, more bean salad and the requisite nacho cheese Doritos.

Thursday was to be Beach Day, but it was very rainy. Instead, we went grocery shopping, came home and rested and then went bowling. We were all very rusty. When we came home, we had home made chicken noodle soup and biscuits - quick and easy but very delicious.

Friday, I had to drive my aunt to a doctor about an hour away. The night before I had made chicken salad with diced apples, sliced grapes, celery and red onion. I didn't want to have to worry about what we would have for supper when we got home. My plan was to stop at Le Madeleine's for they croissants. They are top notch. The appointment took longer than we expected, so I was happy that I had planned ahead. Peggy stayed home with Caitlin and explored our "little" town. Caitlin forgot her way to the shopping center, but it was all serendipitous because it led to a pet shop where they met a macaw. Unfortunately, there is no way for us to get the pictures from Cait's camera phone, so you will just have to believe them. As soon as I got home, I threw together a broccoli pasta salad (broccoli, bell pepper, red onion, shell pasta and Paul Newman's vinaigrette salad dressing) and invited my aunt over for dinner. Yet another fine day.

Today's plans went off without a hitch. We got up at a decent time, hit the road for a secret destination, stopped for fresh baked pretzels at the German bakery, and arrived at our destination only one hour later. We were at Longhorn Caverns in Burnet, Texas. Yes, my international friends, we have caverns here. We paid our entrance fee, waited for about 30 minutes because we arrived late for the first tour, and took photos in the wooded area out back. The actual cave tour was entertaining. Our guide was informative, but funny and everyone had a good time. This morning I had the where with all to remember to pack lunches for everyone, so went across the parking lot to the picnic area for a lunch of sandwiches, chicken salad, pasta salad, chips and various fruits - a bona fide bonanza. I think we are all still drowsy from all we ate.

The next two days will be spent in preparation for the long awaited trip to Norway. I have much packing to do. Still have some shopping to do, too. In the meantime


Andre Rodriguez said...

Thanks for the adventure update. Glad y'all are having a good time.

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Wowwwwwwwww....looks like you have been having a busy...but fun....week! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Jeanet said...

Beautiful photo's Annemarie! And your week sounds sooo busy, but so much fun!!!
Wow..Norway is getting closer!So exciting!!

Shan in Japan said...

Sounds like great fun. I am so excited for you as you travel to Norway!!!! I can't wait to hear about your adventures. Norway was my first foreign country visit so it has a special place in my heart:)
Have a great time!

Cozyflier said...

It was so grand of you and Peggy to take time in your busy week for me! it was such fun to get to see you and meet for real!

Have a great trip to Norway!

Jan said...

You've made some interesting meals. I may revisit this post and take notes. Mmmmm!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin